[time-nuts] low noise multiplication to 100 MHz

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 21 19:43:04 UTC 2016

On 1/21/16 7:17 AM, Peter Reilley wrote:
> Have you considered synthesizers?   I am using an Analog Devices AD9517
> to drive a A/D
> converter at 250 MHz.   It has many clock outputs that are independently
> configurable.
> It is intended for low jitter applications.

So you run the PLL VCO at 1 GHz or something and program it to divide down?

I'm a bit leery of parts that talk about "low jitter" because they
typically integrate from 10kHz out to some MHz, and I'm concerned about
phase noise in the <10kHz offset range.

I guess that really depends on what the loop bandwidth is, the noise I'm
concerned about is probably inside the loop and will be driven by my
reference.

I'll take a look at the part.