[time-nuts] Fwd: CGSIC: FW: Official Press Release - GPS Ground System Anomaly

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Jan 28 15:58:59 UTC 2016

> I've not been following this discussion too closely, but were the nav
> solutions from the GPS steady and continuous during the event (that is,
> was just a time discontinuity).  I'm guessing that since the problem was
> only in the "how to convert from GPS to UTC" parameters that the nav
> solution was steady.

Jim,

Nav solutions were fine. Time solutions were fine. It was just a UTC offset problem (and then only for some receivers).

> And this brings up an interesting question. On receivers that provide a
> 1pps, do they bring out the 1pps on GPS time or on UTC time.  I suspect
> some are GPS and some are UTC.

Almost all timing receivers allow you to choose between GPS time and UTC. It's in the manual. The TBolt and Z38xx-series and 58503-series make it really easy to switch from one to the other.

/tvb