[time-nuts] Fwd: CGSIC: FW: Official Press Release - GPS Ground System Anomaly

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 28 19:23:14 UTC 2016

Jim,

On 01/28/2016 01:22 PM, jimlux wrote:
> On 1/27/16 11:46 PM, Magnus Danielson wrote:
>> Fellow time-nuts,
>>
>> Here is the official statement.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Magnus
>

> I know we're all time-nuts here and not position-nuts.  The thing in the
> statement that was intriguing was about GPS guided munitions.
>
> 13.7 microseconds is about 4.5 km.
>
> I've not been following this discussion too closely, but were the nav
> solutions from the GPS steady and continuous during the event (that is,
> was just a time discontinuity).  I'm guessing that since the problem was
> only in the "how to convert from GPS to UTC" parameters that the nav
> solution was steady.

That is exactly what Meinbergs research as presented by Martin shows.
In particular, it's the A0 coefficient of the GPS to UTC conversion
message which is out of tune.

> And this brings up an interesting question. On receivers that provide a
> 1pps, do they bring out the 1pps on GPS time or on UTC time.  I suspect
> some are GPS and some are UTC.

You can configure, most of them would default to UTC and in my
experience, many systems wants UTC.

> And, did this "ripple in the force" cause all those NTP synchronized
> clocks to hiccup (if a NTP ticker is UTC driven vs GPS driven)

NTP bumping around 13,7 us... I'm not sure I *really* care for most usage.

Oh... not to speak about telecom and broadcast networks. When national
TV broadcast networks suffers greatly, we start to care about these
things. *GREATLY*

Cheers,
Magnus