[time-nuts] Cable length calibration

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Fri Jul 1 16:04:23 UTC 2016

Hi Mike:

For quite a while I was heavily into "chirp" transmissions.  These are HF ionosphere radio transmissions that sweep from
2 to 30 MHz at 100 kHz/sec.
In order to "tune" the radio to a specific station (you can not tune by frequency) you need to know the start time
schedule for that specific station (time nuts content).
When GPS became popular the transmitters switched to GPS.
http://www.prc68.com/I/RCS-5A.shtml

You can use a pulse of RF to calibrate the time delay through your HF receiver to get a more accurate time of reception
value.  That helps because with a GPS synchronized transmitter you can determine it's great circle distance from  you.
Under some conditions you can see a transmission going around the Earth 2 or 3 times.

In a similar way if you used a pair non amplified versions of a GPS antenna back to back you could determine the time
delay of the pair and then divide by two.

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com