[time-nuts] python or matlab/octave for Keysight instruments?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 2 18:35:40 UTC 2016

On 7/2/16 10:58 AM, Hal Murray wrote:

> jimlux at earthlink.net said:
>> I'm fine with writing the SCPI commands and parsing the output, I'm just
>> looking for the "glue" between "send_message_to_instrument" or
>> "read_message_from_instrument" and the instrument itself.
>
> Why do you need any glue?  What type of device is it?  Why not just open it
> and read/write?
>
> That's what I did with a Rigor scope.  I have a udev rule so it shows up as
> /dev/scope no matter where I plug it in:
> KERNEL=="usbtmc*", ATTRS{serial}=="DS1EB132703507",  MODE="0666",
> SYMLINK+="scope"

That would be easy...I'm used to going through multiple layers of
interfaces (Ethernet to GPIB to instrument) each layer of which needs
some sort of software driver.

Well, the first one I'm looking at is a Keysight 33612 waveform/signal
generator..
Hmm, I wonder if it does show up as a usb device of some sort. I'll just
have to go plug it in and look at /dev