[time-nuts] Switching transistors, current sources, nonidealties and noise

Scott Stobbe scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 17:48:03 UTC 2016

The transition frequency of a transistor is more of a ballpark figure of
merit than a device specific constant, as it is also a function of how the
device is biased. Since most amplifiers and oscillators need power gain to
operate, current gain is usually needed (though you could use voltage gain
at the expensive of bandwidth) making ft a useful figure. The transition
frequency is also a good proxy for the effective junction capacitances and
forward transit time of the device.

For a current source, the desired outcome is for the circuit to output one
specific current and no other. So, having a large forward ac-current
bandwidth is not of great importance, as you don't want it to react at all,
you want it to keep sinking/sourcing one current value.

The issue you are having with your circuit is in biasing and loop
compensation. The standard spice model for a transistor does not include
lead inductance (most manufactures will provide a subcircuit model for
their device which includes package parasitics). Referencing the schematic
you previously attached, once your servo amplifier runs out of steam, if Q7
were a 2N3904 looking into the emitter of the device would look like a
10-15 Ohm resistor (1/gm + Rs/beta) in series with a 200 - 250 nH inductor
(tf Rs). When you changed to a BFU520 you lowered the impedance seen at the
base of Q16.

As a test for yourself, If you drive the base of Q16 with an appropriately
chosen voltage source (roughly 3.2 to 3.3 V) you will see a 2n3904 perform
dramatically better.