[time-nuts] Visiting Greenwich

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 5 00:21:12 UTC 2016

On 7/4/16 3:31 PM, Dave Martindale wrote:
> I am in London England at the moment, playing tourist with the rest of my
> family.  I want one day to be a visit to the National Maritime Museum at
> Greenwich, which includes the Royal Observatory Greenwich.  I am
> particularly interested in seeing Harrison's H1 through H4, plus other
> high-precision mechanical timekeepers (pendulum clocks, etc).
>
> I know they are at the NMM - their web site shows some of them.  But where
> are they located on the site?  The NMM has a large main building down near
> the Thames, while the Royal Observatory and related buildings are on the
> top of a hill further inland in Greenwich Park.  Are the chronometers and
> other precision timekeepers on display somewhere in the Royal Observatory,
> or down in the main NMM building?  I've spent an hour or two browsing web
> sites without finding this particular bit of information.
>
> I figure there must be list members who have visited the NMM, and know
> where the precision timekeepers are actually displayed.

Royal Observatory...

http://www.rmg.co.uk/see-do/we-recommend/attractions/john-harrisons-marine-timekeepers

http://www.rmg.co.uk/sites/default/files/rmg_map_2015_-_rog.pdf

One must, of course, take a picture with one foot in each hemisphere.
(Unless, you would follow the French, in which case, the Paris meridian
is the only true meridian, and then you'd have one meter in each
hemisphere...<grin>)