[time-nuts] Visiting Greenwich

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 13:04:03 UTC 2016

On 5 Jul 2016 00:43, "Dave Martindale" <dave.martindale at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am in London England at the moment, playing tourist with the rest of my
> family.  I want one day to be a visit to the National Maritime Museum at
> Greenwich, which includes the Royal Observatory Greenwich.  I am
> particularly interested in seeing Harrison's H1 through H4, plus other
> high-precision mechanical timekeepers (pendulum clocks, etc).

There's an interesting clock at Cambridge university too:

http://www.corpus.cam.ac.uk/about-us/the-corpus-clock/

you might consider visiting.  Cambridge is not too far from London,  and a
nice place to visit,  especially on a warm sunny day when punting on the
river Cam would be particularly enjoyable.

I am sure that you will visit Big Ben.

The clocks at NPL were open to the public at the recent open day, but will
not generally be open.  But if you tried a personal phone call,  and said
that you were a tourist with a particular interest in precision
timekeeping,  you might be offered the chance to look around.

Dave.