[time-nuts] python or matlab/octave for Keysight instruments?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 6 13:33:54 UTC 2016

On 7/4/16 2:26 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <CAMu5KjUWMY47Fiwqbe0JAS0JpbDt0OkYbtjTePhUWKtGWuDJ5w at mail.gmail.com>
> , Keenan Tims writes:
>
>> I've had good luck with python-ivi:
>
> I wrote and use this:
>
> 	https://github.com/bsdphk/pylt
>
> Very basic, works with the Prologix GPIB adapter but general enough to
> also use other carriers (USB, TCP/IP etc)

Thanks to all who replied..
I got the PyVisa working fairly easily on a mac
I'm skeptical about how easy it will be on Ubuntu
I'd expect it to be fairly straightforward on Windows

As with all these things, the "platform dependency" comes in when you
talk to the interface hardware, and there's a fair number of packages
out there that say "platform independent" (which, being in python, they
sort of are) but which depend on a underlying interface layer which may
or may not exist (e.g. Keysight libraries for Windows only)

I'm looking into the USBTMC stuff next as a low end simpler approach
(which is what phk's pylt uses, as well as python-ivi.