[time-nuts] Does doubling a frequency alter the original ADEV of the frequency?

timeok at timeok.it timeok at timeok.it
Sun Jul 10 06:15:04 UTC 2016

See also:

http://www.timeok.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/high-performance-frequency-doublerv1-31.pdf

Luciano
www.timeok.it

From: "time-nuts" time-nuts-bounces at febo.com
To: time-nuts at febo.com
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 17:57:57 -0400
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Does doubling a frequency alter the original ADEV of the frequency?

James wrote:

> Is there a preferred frequency doubler circuit which would do the least harm to the ADEV of the oscillator?  The signal can be a square wave and does not need to be a sine wave.  Thanks.  Jim Robbins

A quadrature-fed DBM produces the lowest jitter and noise.  My
implementation can be found at:

<http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=download&file=02_GPS_Timing/4_App_Notes_and_Articles/Frequency_doubler_quadrature_DBM.pdf>

A well-designed push-push frequency doubler is probably second (but note
that many push-push designs you find on the web have various common
design flaws).  My implementation can be found at:

<http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=download&file=02_GPS_Timing/Frequency_doubler_push_push_JFET_schematic_description_discussion.pdf>

Best regards,

Charles