[time-nuts] GPS for Nixie Clock

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 11 20:42:06 UTC 2016

I have both.  They seem to work well and appear to be genuine Ublox stuff.   I highly suspect that somebody in China bought, for dirt cheap, a product production line closeout of  something that used LEA-6T modules  and stuffed them in those drone gizmos... there is no reason to use an expensive timing receiver in a drone gizmo.  Also,  when they run out,  there will be no more cheap LEA-6T's.
The Neo-8M seems to be nice receiver.   I've seen mine tracking 24 GPS/SBAS/Glonass sats indoors.  I have not seen it tracking any Beidou or Galileo sats.   With poor indoor signal levels, the lat/lon scattergram is around +/- 50 feet, though.  And although it sees a lot of Glonass sats, it seems to avoid using more than 1 or 2 in the nav solution.  It reports the 1PPS accuracy is in the 40 ns range.
No idea what the timing performance looks like, but it should be pretty good... especially with the 6T that can be put into position hold mode.