[time-nuts] GPS for Nixie Clock

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 15 05:29:24 UTC 2016

For a clock that is observed by eye,  the NMEA message on most receivers comes out close enough to the second to not need the 1PPS.  I think there is even a section in the NMEA spec that says how close to the second the message should come out.  Receivers that output binary messages are even better about their message timing vs the 1PPS pulse.
Lady Heather drives the clock display (and singing clock) via the receiver messages (does not use the 1PPS).   I have several instances running singing clocks at the same time with different receivers (or the system clock running off of NTP) and they all sing in almost perfect harmony (except for those evil receivers that output the time message after the 1PPS, those can be 1 second off).  The human ear is much better at distinguishing phase differences than the eye.