[time-nuts] GPS message jitter (was GPS for Nixie Clock)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jul 19 01:59:57 UTC 2016

jimlux at earthlink.net said:
> except that virtually every UART in use today has some sort of buffering
> (whether a FIFO or double buffering) between the CPU interface and the  bits
> on the wire, which completely desynchronizes the bits on the wire  from the
> CPU interface.

The idea was to reduce the CPU load processing interrupts by batching things
up.

Some of those chips generate an interrupt when the see a return or line-feed
character.

Most of them have an option to disable that batching.  On Linux the setserial
command has a low_latency option.  I haven't measured the difference.  It
would be a fun experiment.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.