[time-nuts] GPS message jitter (was GPS for Nixie Clock)

Scott Stobbe scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 03:42:34 UTC 2016

I can't speak for linux, but I have been bitten by FIFO watermark
interrupts on micros before. If you set an interrupt for a 3/4 full FIFO,
the last one or two characters will sit in the receive buffer and never
trigger the RX interrupt. For a command -> response device which doesn't
have a constant data-stream, It isn't until a PC application resends the
command sequence that enough characters are in the FIFO to trigger the
watermark interrupt. The easy fix was to interrupt on any single character
being available, but would have been nice to have a timeout interrupt on a
partially full FIFO.