[time-nuts] How does sawtooth compensation work?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Jul 19 05:01:01 UTC 2016

> It would be interesting to look at the data to see if you can find the sort

Hi Hal,

There's lots of examples of sawtooth patterns at: http://leapsecond.com/pages/MG1613S/

In particular there's this monster: http://leapsecond.com/pages/MG1613S/tic-72-hour.gif

It's simple for a microprocessor-based GPSDO with its TIC to realize when it's getting too lost in a hanging bridge. There are a number of ways around the problem. My favorite is gluing a resistor on top of the GPS chip and pumping a few tens of mW through it when you want the bridge to stop.

Here's the proof-of-concept: http://leapsecond.com/pages/vp/heater.htm

/tvb