[time-nuts] GPS message jitter (was GPS for Nixie Clock)

Scott Stobbe scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 18:48:39 UTC 2016

Very true. If your exchanging data for loose timing purposes (wall clock)
over a UART whether it is binary coded or ASCII coded is immaterial. You
will always introduce at least 1/16 of a bit time of jitter, if not one
full bit time, allowing the uart to sync to start bit edge.

In full honesty I have never read the official NMEA-0183 specification.
Just a sample from an unoffical NMEA0183.pdf
<http://www.tronico.fi/OH6NT/docs/NMEA0183.pdf>
*ZDA Time & Date – UTC, Day, Month, Year and Local Time Zone*
*$--ZDA,hhmmss.ss,xx,xx,xxxx,xx,xx*hh*

So for a GPS or a timing unit on a NMEA-0183 bus, do they report their best
estimate of time to the nearest 10ms when the packet is sent? (since a PPS
line isn't shared)