[time-nuts] Leap second to be introduced at midnight UTC December 31 this year

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Wed Jul 20 15:31:53 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 01:05:59AM -0700, Hal Murray wrote:
> gem at rellim.com said:
> > Yes, I know the problem being solved.  Like today, the leap second being
> > broadcast sooner than ntpd expects, so it picks the wrong month.

> Do you know of any ntp servers that have picked the wrong month?

When I was writing up my leap second measurements, I went looking
for reports of leap seconds in unusual months (i.e. not in
June/Decembet) and managed to find the following:

	http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2007-October/015655.html
	http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2012-August/033611.html
	http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2013-July/035664.html

For the first, I think Windows was involved?  For the second, I'm
not sure how many people accidently leaped. For the last, there was
definitely one leap.

	David.