[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361 REF-0

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 19:29:36 UTC 2016

I got in a Z3812A (aka Lucent KS-24361 REF-0) and installed a Motorola UT+ in it following the excellent guide by Peter Garde (google is your friend) and have it working as a standalone GPSDO...    basically it now a REF1 unit).  The mod mostly involves moving half a dozen 0 ohm resistors (I chopped out the resistors... too lazy to unsolder them...  and used wire wrap wire to replace them))  The gps receiver was around $20 from RDR Electronics.

Yes, you could emulate the Motorola receiver with a newer model,  but that is a LOT of work to do correctly for very little benefit (I've never seen a receiver that offers Motorola emulation get it entirely correct).  Or you could use Dan's GPS message faker hack,  but lose the ability to fully control the ref0 via SCPI commands / Lady Heather and would wind up spending the same amount as adding in the GPS receiver.