[time-nuts] NIST UT1 NTP server results

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Jul 23 19:36:21 UTC 2016

> If this turns into a serious thing then it deserves consideration
> whether such servers should be UT1, or instead UT2.

Hi Steve,

I've always been curious about the conflict between accuracy and stability with these various time scales.

If the purpose of a UTx clock is long-term timekeeping, then I can see that smoothing is helpful. OTOH, if the purpose of a UTx clock is to pinpoint a telescope, then smoothing is exactly what you don't want. That is, what you want is to know where to point the telescope right now, not the average of where you would have pointed the telescope each day over the past year. The former is a precise actionable measurement; the latter is a filtered historical statistic.

Can you shed light on this? Who / how / why was UT0 vs. UT1 vs. UT2 used in practice?

Thanks,
/tvb