[time-nuts] The home time-lab

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jul 25 03:25:31 UTC 2016

The PFC power supply architecture I had in mind uses a flyback inverter to regulate the input rail voltage for the output dc-dc converter stage. The flyback stage peak current is modulated by a sinewave. A feedback loop adjusts the effective amplitude of this sinusoidal modulation to regulate the rail voltage. With some high frequency input filtering the input current is sinusoidal with low power factor.
I've seen a lot of equipment that's either unhappy or has even been damaged by use of modified sinewave inverters. Some equipment even fails to work with modified sine input although it subsequently works with a sinewave input. Laptop/notebook supplies in particular can be something of a lottery in this respect.
Machines with capacitor start motors also require a near sine wave input

Bruce