[time-nuts] Q/noise of Earth as an oscillator

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 14:10:20 UTC 2016

We have discussed quartz crystals which despite their high Q, may
suffer from periodic "jumps" in frequency do to what I assume are
imperfection that hardly affect Q.  If they did affect Q, then that
would have been a good way to grade them for this behavior.

Temperature coefficient is also independent of Q.  If I built a
pendulum out of a material with a high thermal coefficient of
expansion, it will not be very stable but the Q will be unaffected.