[time-nuts] Very Accurate Delta Time RF Pulse Measurements

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jul 29 01:48:20 UTC 2016

Hi

If you have a need to do < 1 ns with a counter approach, the counter will need to have a GHz clock in it. If you want to use an MCU counter, it will need to have a GHz level clock routed to it. You are unlikely to find an MCU that will do that. An FPGA can get you to 1.25 ns with direct counting. With gate based delay line techniques you can get down below 100 ps in an FPGA.

The other approach is to build a counter to get as fast as you practically can and then do an analog TDC to get a few more bits.

There are a *lot* of messy details past all that.

Bob