[time-nuts] NCOCXO anyone?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Jul 29 16:23:07 UTC 2016

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 00:26:07 +0000 (UTC)
Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Diophantine Frequency Synthesizer Design for Timekeeping Systems

I quickly went over the papers people have pointed me at. Without
having gone through all the math, the idea for choosing the PLL values
looks neat. The 2-cascaded synthesizer is also the one used by Spectratime
for their FemtoStepper, which bring us back to the question: How do they
achieve phase steps? I see how offset frequencies are generated (with
arbitrary small step sized), but I do not see how this can be turned
in fine resulution phase steps when using PLL's as the controlling elements.

> Discusses a diophantine synthesiser.Note Sotiriadis' work on diophantine
> numbers and frequency synthesis appears to be a rehash of an old Patent
> perhaps due to a lack of competent searching for prior art.This issue was
> discussed on the list some time ago,

Which patent are you refering to?

			Attila Kinali
use without that foundation.