[time-nuts] Q/noise of Earth as an oscillator

Scott Stobbe scott.j.stobbe at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 22:16:31 UTC 2016

Thanks Tom, I would agree LIGOs efforts are beyond heroic, I will try to
find some of their phase noise plots.

Regarding Q of the earth, I would agree one could compute an UNloaded Q for
the earth as if it were a mass element in some form of a mechanical
oscillator. The first sticky point is which Q, a loaded Q (QL) would assume
it's oscillating (which as many have outlined) it's not, an unloaded Q
(1/DF, or X/R) would be a reasonable value to commute for some specific
frequency. It is interesting (although expected) I have arrived to similar
Q as you, though through different reasoning, but similar assumptions.

Taking inspiration from the many brilliant controls and analog Engineers
from the analog computing days, we can create a circuit equivalent model
for the rotational dynamics of the earth.

Some physical parameters:

 omega_e = 7.3E-5 rad/s         (angular rate of the earth)
 alpha_e = -6.3E-22 rad/s^2     (angular deceleration of the earth)
 J_e = 8E37 kg m^2                (Inertia of the earth)

Mapping the torque-(angular displacement) space to the volt-coulomb space

Capacitor - Torsional Spring
Q = C V,  tau = k theta

Resistor - Damper / Friction
Qdot = V/R,    tau = B thetadot

Inductor - Mass
Qdotdot = V/L,    tau = J thetadotdot

In this circuit equivalent model the inertia of the earth would be
represented by an inductor of inductance
L = 8E37 kg m^2

An approximate rotational friction coefficient (tidal friction, doubt it's
a first order relation, but for the sake of Q, assume it is, and other
losses) can be found from the net angular deceleration.
B = J * |alpha_e|/omega_e = 6.9E20 Nm s

Solving as an equivalent resistance yields,
Rs = 6.9E20 Nm s

Finally the unloaded Q at 11 and change uHz,
Q = XL/Rs = (7.3E-5)(8E37)/(6.9E20) = 8.5E12

8.5 Trillion, not bad for an inductor at 11 uHz... Now if you really wanted
an 11 uHz oscillator you could ram a torsional spring up the earth's south
pole.

>From a circuit perspective, the earth's rotation looks like a monster near
superconducting inductor that at some point and somehow was precharged to a
current Io, and then had its terminals crowbarred. Our solar time is like
watching a reference electron run round and round a coil.

Björn and Dave, thanks for the gyro reference I will take a look.