[time-nuts] How to get unknown frequency quartz crystals oscillating

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Jun 4 09:19:50 UTC 2016

On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 10:46:40 +0200
Mike Cook <michael.cook at sfr.fr> wrote:

> If you had a crystal with unknown frequency and drive requirements
> that you wanted to investigate. How would you go about it?

I would use some signal generator to generate a tunable sinusoid and
feed this to the quartz with the testing circuit from the standard
setup (see eg [1]) and measure the power on both sides of the quartz,
like in an VNA setup. You will probably not need the phase information,
so a simple power detector would be enough.

Bernd should be able to tell you way more about this than I can.

				Attila Kinali

[1] "Load resonant measurements of quartz crystals", Dwane Rose, 1998
http://www.saunders-assoc.com/httpdocs/datasheets/paper/paper.pdf

--
Reading can seriously damage your ignorance.
		-- unknown