[time-nuts] Mystery hp Ovens For Sale

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jun 4 12:24:16 UTC 2016

Hi

The “small” (less than a pound) 100 KHz crystals are not really great
in terms of performance. If you get a GT (big thin square plate with attach
right in the middle) they can have ok temperature performance. Because of
their small size, their Q is relatively low and thus things like phase noise and
ADEV are not very good.

Not accurate, but at least a hand waving sort of number:

If a high Q 5 MHz is 0.5” diameter *and* you did the same design at
100 KHz, it’s going to be 25” in diameter. (Obviously not the way to do it).

Bob