[time-nuts] Mystery hp Ovens For Sale

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 5 12:36:10 UTC 2016

On 6/5/16 4:40 AM, Eric Scace wrote:
> http://www.loran-history.info/Johnston_Island/Johnston%20-%20OSC%20Msg%20221416Z%20Oct%2064.pdf states than an O-451/U oscillator was shipped to the Johnston Island LORAN station in 1967. We are getting closer...
>
> I am the owner of O-451A/U serial number 11. I would appreciate any documentation that people uncover. Although the USCG property tag says Western Electric was the contractor, some have suggested the construction reminds them of General Radio practices...

Western Electric operated Sandia Corporation(the civilian nuclear
weapons development and production company) starting in 1949 when it was
split off from Los Alamos.  Immediately post war, University of
California, who operated Los Alamos, didn't want to be involved in
weapons development, so it was split off.

Historically, there has been a pairing of a Sandia facility with Los
Alamos and Livermore.

Johnston Island has been used for rocket launches and various nuclear
testing for years (e.g. Teak, Dominic), as well as nuclear detection and
anti-satellite research.

It is no surprise that Western Electric would be sending timing
equipment to Johnston Island.