[time-nuts] GPS altitude somewhat wrong?

Michael Perrett mkperrett at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 22:33:19 UTC 2016

A couple of things come to mind:
1) Is this a single measurement or an average over at least 24 hours?
2) Did you get your elevation via the receiver survey mode (recommended)?
3) How close is your "nominal" elevation measurement and what makes you
think it is truth?
4) The vertical component of the GPS position solution is typically 50%
worse accuracy and a lot noisier than the horizontal measurement. If you
have a good horizontal measurement it is unlikely you have a "wrong answer"
on elevation since your receiver is using the same data, just solving the
equation for a different variable.
5) What is your satellite mask angle? The geometry (hence accuracy)
degrades as an increasing function with mask angle. Suggest for the survey
mode you use as low a mask angle as possible (typically 5 to 10 degrees).

Finally, your 214' error is outrageous. For a surveyed position the answer
should be with +/- 10'.

Michael Perrett