[time-nuts] GPS altitude somewhat wrong?

Van Horn, David david.vanhorn at backcountryaccess.com
Wed Jun 8 23:11:57 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts [mailto:time-nuts-bounces+david.vanhorn=backcountryaccess.com at febo.com] On Behalf Of Michael Perrett
Sent: Wednesday, June 8, 2016 4:33 PM
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] GPS altitude somewhat wrong?

A couple of things come to mind:
1) Is this a single measurement or an average over at least 24 hours?

60+ hours

2) Did you get your elevation via the receiver survey mode (recommended)?

This is what's currently being displayed in LH after a 60 hour survey

3) How close is your "nominal" elevation measurement and what makes you think it is truth?

Damifino.  :)

4) The vertical component of the GPS position solution is typically 50% worse accuracy and a lot noisier than the horizontal measurement. If you have a good horizontal measurement it is unlikely you have a "wrong answer"
on elevation since your receiver is using the same data, just solving the equation for a different variable.

5) What is your satellite mask angle? The geometry (hence accuracy) degrades as an increasing function with mask angle. Suggest for the survey mode you use as low a mask angle as possible (typically 5 to 10 degrees).

Currently set to 5 degrees, which I know is low, but I wanted to see what the whole sky map looks like.
I will dial it up as we get things settled in.

Finally, your 214' error is outrageous. For a surveyed position the answer should be with +/- 10'.

Ok..

Michael Perrett