[time-nuts] Need - PRS10 magic smoke

Skip Withrow skip.withrow at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 22:32:23 UTC 2016

Hello time-nuts,

Well, broke out a PRS10 that I had put away for a project some time ago and
upon power up found that it had issues.  Status indicated low lamp output
and high lamp temperature.  Duh!  Upon removal of the lamp assembly it
became abundantly clear that the magic smoke had gotten out.

If I recall correctly, seems like there was another PRS10 with corrosion
issues in the same area.  My guess is that the heat does not help this
situation.  I suspect that I may have a full-on heater, which may have
caused the tantalum cap (and possibly other) failures.

Looks like this may be the weak spot in these oscillators.  I'm very
hopeful that a rebuild will bring it back to life.

Thought you would enjoy the pictures though.  Two are attached.

Regards,
Skip Withrow

Virus-free
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>