[time-nuts] HF frequency counting receiver

Graham / KE9H ke9h.graham at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 16:34:04 UTC 2016

Nick:

You can do it this way, but it requires you to totally understand the
mathematics and granularity of ALL of the frequency sources and
synthesizers in the superhet receiver.
And if there are any audio soundcards or sampling devices involved, the
specifications and origin of the sampling clocks.  If it is the USB clock
in your computer, you can be pretty much screwed right there.

These are generally not published by the manufacturers, so you will need a
friend at the manufacturer to provide you this information. Or be ready to
do a lot of reverse engineering.

The typical RF frequency measurement system for off-the-air measurement
only uses the superhet for signal reception, then adds a precision (GPSDO
derived) local oscillator/signal source for which you totally understand
the mathematics and granularity, because you built it yourself, and an
audio counter that allows you to measure the audio difference between the
signal to be measured, and the local precision reference that you inject.
In this system, the absolute frequency of the superhet receiver is a "don't
care".  You just want to measure the difference between the signal to be
measured and your local precision reference.

--- Graham

==