[time-nuts] RS232 / GPS interface/prototyping board

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Wed Jun 22 14:01:48 UTC 2016

This may be too far off-topic, but I’ve used both Dirty and OSHPark. For U.S. based folks, Dirty sounds like a better value proposition than OSH, but for most of us, it doesn’t really work that way:

1. If you are building one thing, getting 10 vs 3 boards doesn’t add value.
2. To actually get the boards in-hand in the same amount of time, you have to spend $25 or so for DHL shipping.
3. To get ENIG you have to pay extra. ENIG may not be necessary, but I always get it when I have either button battery holders or switch contacts or non-soldered edge connections or the like on the board. ENIG is standard from OSHPark.

If you’re buying a *pile* of a particular board, Dirty is better:

1. They do ETesting. That said, I have gotten one board back from Dirty that had a short. I’ve gotten bad boards back from OSHPark too, and I don’t have statistics to make any real comparisons. It’s exceedingly rare from both.
2. They offer different solder mask colors.
3. Their volume pricing deals are better and more flexible.

But watch out for one thing - Dirty will add an order tracking number to your silkscreen. Normally, I don’t care, but I once made a batch of chassis panels and pretty sort of mattered in that instance.