[time-nuts] OT stuffing boards: was GPS interface/prototyping board

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Thu Jun 23 20:09:37 UTC 2016

I’ve done quite a bit of this. My assembler of choice is Small Batch Assembly.

It all sort of depends on what you call “reasonable.” PNP assembly is a bit like PCB fab in that there are rather large set-up costs and the per-unit cost after that is quite low, which favors volume.

Any way you slice it, I’d expect that 10 boards is too small a number for it to be economical. I’ve done 10-20 *panels* of boards at a time with SBA, and that’s worked out ok, but that’s amortizing the cost over a couple hundred units at a time.

SBA has a free quote widget on their site that will give you a ballpark number given your BOM size, board and panel count. I particularly like that there’s no hook from that widget to a greasy salesman trying to glad-hand you. :)