[time-nuts] OT stuffing boards: was GPS interface/prototyping

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Fri Jun 24 19:54:50 UTC 2016

> On Jun 23, 2016, at 6:28 PM, Jay Grizzard <elfchief-timenuts at lupine.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 11:28:00PM +0000, Mark Sims wrote:
>> A usable re-flow oven can be had for $300.
>
> Do you (or anyone) have suggestions for usable reflow ovens in this price
> range?

I sell a reflow oven conversion kit on Tindie, FWIW.

https://www.tindie.com/products/nsayer/toast-r-reflow-power-board-kit/
https://www.tindie.com/products/nsayer/toast-r-reflow-controller/

It’s two separate pieces because I really wanted to divide the problem between the dangerous power handling bits, and all the rest, which is low voltage and safe to fool with. The intent is that you gut the toaster oven’s native controls and install the power board inside. You connect a 3 wire LV cable to the control port and bring that out to the controller. The control is opto-isolated triacs, so effectively an LED acts as a proxy for the elements.

I’ve been using them with the same toaster oven ever since the very beginning. The toaster isn’t agile enough for RoHS paste, but that could probably be fixed by better insulation or perhaps hacking in an extra heating element.