[time-nuts] OT stuffing boards: was GPS interface/prototyping board

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 25 17:27:53 UTC 2016

If OpenPnp generates a gcode file for a particular CNC controller (say Linux CNC) my program can easily translate it into something pretty much any other CNC machine can read (including some machines that have not existed for over 40 years).  It would not be hard to add the ability to read a standard layout centroid file and convert it into gcode.  The problem there is specifying all the machine specific stuff like feeder/board locations, pick sequences, component rotation.
One of the file formats it can read is Gerber.  I use it to convert paste layer Gerber files to gcode for laser cutting stencils.  It also outputs excellent Gerber renderings as .PDF or .SVG files (or .DXF).  It is one of the very few programs out there that can handle the new "X2" extensions to Gerber.  I've used it for doing toner transfer boards.    It can also convert Excellon or Sieb&Meyer drill files to gcode, pdf, dxf, postscript, Adobe Illustrator, etc.