[time-nuts] over-determined clock solution

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Sun Jun 26 14:29:26 UTC 2016

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 22:00:25 -0400, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 10:07:30 -0400
> From: Steve <steve65 at suddenlink.net>
> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
> 	<time-nuts at febo.com>
> Subject: [time-nuts] over-determined clock solution
>
> The phrase "over-determined clock solution" is used in the Trimble
> Thunderbolt user manual in describing operation of the Thunderbolt GPS
> receiver. The manual does not discuss the phrase in any detail,
> appearing to assume the reader understands its meaning. An internet
> search on "over-determined clock solution" did not turn up any
> substantive hits.
>
> What does "over-determined clock solution" mean?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve, K8JQ
>
> End of time-nuts Digest, Vol 143, Issue 41

As others have said, it means that there are more satellites than the
minimum required to compute a fix.  The minimum for a full fix is four,
to cover x, y, z, and t.

The term "over determined" comes from Linear Algebra, and this is the
best place to look.

I am partial to Intro to Linear Algebra, 5th edition, by Gilbert
Strang:
<http://www.wellesleycambridge.com/images/linearalgebra5_Front.jpg>.
Strang is a MIT Math Prof, and his lectures are all available gratis on
the MIT website.

The classic application leading to an over determined linear system is
least-squared fitting.

Joe Gwinn