[time-nuts] Quartz Crystal Motional Movement

Rob Sherwood. rob at nc0b.com
Sun Jun 26 15:05:51 UTC 2016

Having dealt with crystal filter procurement for over 40 years, there are lots of mechanical issues as alluded to below.  For crystals in the 5 to 10 MHz range, the edges have to be beveled so the blank is convex. Cleanliness is very important since it affects the plating of the electrodes.  I would say over four decades, the Q for a narrow CW bandwidth crystal filter went from around 80K to 300K. Cost was always an issue for use in a filter that an amateur radio operator would be willing to pay for.

The less the crystal has to be tweaked onto frequency the better.  Solder seal isn't as good as cold welded cans since contamination is much worse when the can is soldered shut. If stringent loss requirements were paramount, sometimes the can is back filled with helium instead of nitrogen.

For crystals that can be subjected to strong signals, as in radio roofing filters, intermodulation in the crystal is an important factor. A filter that in the past might have been made with $0.35 crystals out of China, is likely not consistently good enough today. The filter has a major impact on performance of a radio that has a dynamic range over 100 dB.

Driving a crystal filter at even -20 dBm, let alone higher, can drive contaminates off the crystal blank for a short time. Intermodulation performance can be affected for 10s of minutes after "IMDing" a crystal.  A really good crystal for a filter can cost more than $5.00 in production quantities, compared to those that cost far less than a dollar.

Rob, NC0B