[time-nuts] Impact of GPS antenna height measurments

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jun 27 21:23:07 UTC 2016

Hi

If your time is off because your antenna location is off and you are running a GPSDO …
The error does matter for frequency.

1) Start with a group of sats in the sky all in the direction of the  error vector. Your
GPSDO will get a time solution that is 72 ns early.

2) Move the group of sats so they are at right angles to the the error vector. Your
GPSDO will get a time solution that is correct (the error does not impact the solution).

3) Move the sats so they are in the exact opposite direction of the error vector. Your
GPSDO now gets a time solution that is 72 ns late.

As the sats move in the sky, the solution “swings” back and forth between +72 and -72 ns.
It gets a bunch of zeros in there as well. How often you get a “all bad minus” versus “all bad
plus” depends a *lot* on your antenna location. Even if it is simply a 2/3 of the sat’s over there
and 2/3 over here …. there is still a significant swing.

A swing in time will give you a delta frequency. If you otherwise would get 1x10^-11 delta F out
of your GPSDO, That will double if the +72 to -72 ns swing occurs in 4 hours.

Bob