[time-nuts] How to properly characterize 32kHz oscillators manually and with a microcontroller?

Dan Rae danrae at verizon.net
Mon Jun 27 22:28:29 UTC 2016

On 6/27/2016 1:51 PM, Hal Murray wrote:
> I assume you are doing this for fun.  That means you get to do whatever you
> think will be fun.
>
> The DS3231 is pretty crappy by time nuts standards.
Maybe, but simply by adjusting mine by measuring the 32 kHz output with
an accurate counter I can get them to keep to within about one second a
month.  I have two incorporated in homebrew HF transceivers that I built
and find that their performance is actually pretty impressive, /for what
they are/.  Being able to set time zones and UTC offset from the radio's
front panel is also handy.   After all they only claim to be a fairly
accurate clock.  I doubt that any of the fancy schemes being proposed
for measurement will improve the basic accuracy much.

Dan