[time-nuts] Effect of the Antenna Delay in setting in Z380!A

Tom Holmes tholmes at woh.rr.com
Tue Mar 1 16:42:42 UTC 2016

Hi Dave...

Group delay really applies to any device, and mathematically is the rate of change of phase vs. frequency. It is usually of interest for bandpass devices, but no reason it can't be used for a piece of coax. The word 'group' comes from the idea of being interested in the delay over a range, or group, of frequencies, with no large gaps being implied.

For a bandpass device, the requirement is often that the delay be constant over the bandpass range, especially for digital signals.

If you have an instrument that can measure time intervals, such as the HP 5335 counter, you can measure your cable delay to close enough accuracy, per Bob Camp's explanation of close enough.

Tom Holmes, N8ZM