[time-nuts] SoftMark USB to GPIB converter

gonzo . cadbloke at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 3 06:27:36 UTC 2016

No - Please don't.
No more of us need be burnt by that POS.

Once you've bought it, you discover all you can do is send one command at a time until you buy additional software to get the DLL needed to do anything even remotely interesting.
The documentation is terrible to the point the 'free' DLL has the same name as the 'paid' version, so it took me several emails (if you get a reply, you're doing well) to workout why why it didn't work as described.

By far the best 'affordable' GPIB to USB adapter on the market is the Prologix (http://prologix.biz/).
If you are interested in building your own, have a look at  Anders take on an open design (http://www.dalton.ax/gpib/).

Cheers,
ian

I have a desire to do some data collection and storage from my Racal 1992,
and I need a USB to GPIB converter. We have a National Instruments
converter at work, but I want to do this at home. The SoftMark unit is
considerably less expensive than the NI one. Does it work? Specifically,
would it work with my 1992? I seem to remember some discussion from way
back that they don't play well with a lot of HP/Agilent/Keysight stuff. Has
anyone with a 1992 used it with a SoftMark converter?