[time-nuts] PLL book 3rd edition

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 8 13:30:51 UTC 2016

On 3/8/16 12:19 AM, Stéphane Rey wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> There are hopefully many applications where monolythics PLL can't
> achieve the requested functionalitities or performances so that there is
> still room to build block PLLs. I'm still desiging such things for my
> job for instance.

As do we at JPL.  In fact, I'd say that given the advent of more
"software driven" radios, with things like PLLs with DDS or NCO in the
loop, having a text that covers performance on an analytical basis is
useful.

However, it's a pretty darn small market. (Considering we do a "new
design" every 5-10 years)

And, we use the data sheets and ap notes as a much as we'd use the textbook.

What is really hard to find is good data on the noise properties of the
other components.  Everyone makes noise plots for the oscillators and
amplifiers and publishes them.  For instance, what about the noise added
by the Phase Frequency Detector - that's not a spec that shows up on the
data sheet. (but does get discussed here on time-nuts)