[time-nuts] Z3801A recovering

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Wed Mar 16 23:38:30 UTC 2016

As I mentioned a while back, my trusty Z3801A, which has worked well
for several years, went into holdover some time ago and stayed there.
Until recently, I haven't had time to look into this. About 20 days
ago, I did power cycle it to see if that made a difference. It did
not.

In the middle of the night, last night (couldn't sleep), I decided to
see what initiating a new survey would do. Since the unit doesn't lock
to as many satellites as my Lucent with the newer Oncore, it took
quite a while for the survey to finish.

I just got home from work and this is what I am seeing:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19599147/Z3801A.png

The good news is that the unit no longer telling me the PPS is
invalid. It looks like it will be another long while before it comes
out of Recovery (assuming the PPS stays locked).

I'm not the best at interpreting these graphs. At this point, should I
be concerned abouth the spikey nature of the EFC graph, or will things
calm down eventually? I assume that the PPS graph won't show until
Recovery is done?

If this unit loses PPS lock again, or otherwise acts up, then I would
assume it is a hardware problem, and I'll have to put it on the bench.

Joe Gray
W5JG