[time-nuts] 32.768Khz generation and stuff day

walter shawlee 2 walter2 at sphere.bc.ca
Mon Mar 21 16:45:02 UTC 2016

While is is possible to make this frequency from 10MHz with some phase issues
via a cpu driven divider, keep in mind simple-minded hardware guys like me just
start with a 3.2768Mhz or 32.768Mhz crystal or oscillator, both of which are
very, very common, and not so hard to stabilize.  In fact, these specific
frequencies are offered with very high stability and precision, for instances
where binary division is preferred.

I am not certain what the end use of the resulting frequency is (run a clock or
watch maybe?), but keep in mind, many roads lead to the right answer. plus, *if
it is a clock,* then 1pps signals are also easily used from the 10Mhz source,
avoiding all this hoopla.

Just a reminder, Stuff Day is this coming April 9th, we have guys coming from
all over, as far away as Arizona and Alberta.  we promise to make the trip
worthwhile.  I have a ton of PIC 16C711 parts we are giving away if anybody can
use them.

all the best,
walter

--
Walter Shawlee 2, President
Sphere Research Corporation
walter2 at sphere.bc.ca
WS2: We're all in one boat, no matter how it looks to you.
Love is all you need. (John Lennon)
But, that doesn't mean other things don't come in handy. (WS2)