[time-nuts] Datum StarLoc II and LH

Vlad time at patoka.org
Tue Mar 22 15:19:20 UTC 2016

Hello,

Today I was trying to use LH Software with Datum "StarLoc II" GPSDO.
While LH is not supported that beast, it could read and decode some TSIP
messages coming from it.
Basically, StarLoc II sending 8F-AB and 8F-AC for every second.

Here is the result:

http://www.patoka.ca/OCXO/LH-StarLocII.png

BTW, LH is under Windows 10 and its connected through the
Serial-over-Ethernet device "DIGI TS4". I would say, this setup is
working somehow.

My question is about OSC / 1PPS coming from StarLoc.

I connected 10Mhz output from StarLoc to my counter, referenced by 10Mhz
OCXO.
And I noticed that my counter shows the frequency little bit out of
10Mhz. My first impression was that may be my OCXO drifted that far over
the period of time since the last calibration has been done.

However, before to blame OCXO, I decided to see what information I have
in TSIP messages to check if my StarLoc has some HW issue(s). (Which
will be documented in 8F-AC packet). So, I connected it to LH to see.
And LH shows that StarLoc has no HW issue, but it has strange outputs
(see provided screenshot). It seems instead of 10Mhz it sending 9999601.
Does anybody knows what could be explanation for this ?

--
WBW,

V.P.