[time-nuts] help

Nick Sayer nsayer at kfu.com
Mon May 2 21:36:28 UTC 2016

> On May 2, 2016, at 9:51 AM, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> The real question is whether "cron" is timely enough.  No matter, just write a script (or python) that reads time in a loop (and you can put a sleep in there) and pulses the GPIO when needed.

A Raspberry Pi with nothing else on its plate will have a cron-to-shell script latency easily under 100 ms, possibly under 10.

If it were me and I were triggering a relay for some sort of external circuit, I’d probably be happy it was on the right side of 500 ms. If I cared more than that, then step 1 would be to do as others have suggested and come up with a microcontroller + GPS solution instead of NTP + cron. Ironically, that’d be around the same price (albeit more engineering work).