[time-nuts] Crazy PPS

Artek Manuals Manuals at ArtekManuals.com
Mon May 2 21:44:58 UTC 2016

On 5/2/2016 8:58 AM, Joseph Gray wrote:
> After replacing the GPS module in Z3801A #2, I fired it up and let it
> run. For over an hour, things looked OK, then the PPS TI/s rose
> dramatically. Later, it started back down, Other than a high HUP,
> everything else looked good. What would cause this to happen?
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19599147/Crazy%20PPS.png
>

> Joe Gray
> W5JG

Joe

I have two Z3801A's and one behaves in a very similar pattern upon
warming up from being unpowered for long stretches.Mine is a little more
extreme even went from "near zero) to about -5e-7 then back up to +1e-6,
before settling down. My theory is that it is a function of the
particular xtal in the TCXO . My unit even has that same little sawtooth
bump in in the EFC value ( just after 0200 in your graph) as well
Compared to my other unit it also takes it several days longer to  reach
a long term holdover stability of less than 3ms

Both of my units have been through the VP-Oncore change out...swapping
the receivers between the units did not change the curve particularly
the one with the wide swing stayed that way regardless of which receiver
I had in it

Dave

--
Dave