[time-nuts] High rate, high precision/accuracy time interval counter methods

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed May 4 10:26:37 UTC 2016

One method is to have the event trigger sampling of a pair of quadrature phase sinewaves. eg LT1407A-1 dual 14 bit SAR  ADC can sample a quadrature pair of 10MHz sine waves with ~ 5ps resolution in the computed phase.
Bruce

    On Wednesday, 4 May 2016 10:00 PM, Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

 On Tue, 3 May 2016 22:31:14 +0200
Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:

> An alternative to the edge estimator method is to continuously sample,
> mix with a reference frequency, decimate and then do arc-tangent of the
> I/Q samples. This is what is used for phase-noise measurement such as
> the Symmetricom/Microsemi test-kits, TimePod, and also the new R&S
> phase-noise system.

The "signal" is not a sinusoid, but discrete events. Think of it
as incomming pulses and you want to measure their arrival time.

            Attila Kinali

--
Reading can seriously damage your ignorance.
        -- unknown