[time-nuts] How to achieve best results from U-Blox survey-in

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Sun May 8 17:25:40 UTC 2016

Hi Neil,

Yes, disable all except GPS sats.  Also, turn off SBAS, set your max and min number of sats (defaults are probably what you want), and the satellite elevation mask.  The elevation mask defaults to 5, but can you really see that low?

There are different ideas about how long to run the survey.  On the one hand, these new receivers get a good position pretty quickly.  On the other, if you wait 24 hours, you get the benefit of having that many measurements figure into the result.  Don't forget that the antenna placement can make or break a timing system.  I've been struggling along with my antenna placed just under the eave on a south facing window, but finally got one put in a clear position on top of the house.  It does make a difference.