[time-nuts] How to achieve best results from U-Blox survey-in

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Sun May 8 22:11:10 UTC 2016

Hi Pete,

>From Bob Camp's comments, I think you're right.  I hadn't considered survey as an issue by itself.  I've only been concerned about timing, and one of the Ublox manuals says to turn off SBAS for timing applications.

On Sun, 5/8/16, Pete Stephenson <pete at heypete.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [time-nuts] How to achieve best results from U-Blox survey-in
 To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement" <time-nuts at febo.com>
 Date: Sunday, May 8, 2016, 3:32 PM

 On Sun, May 8, 2016 at
 7:25 PM, Bob Stewart <bob at evoria.net>
 wrote:
 > Yes, disable all except GPS
 sats.  Also, turn off SBAS, set your max and min number of
 sats (defaults are probably what you want), and the
 satellite elevation mask.  The elevation mask defaults to
 5, but can you really see that low?

 Hi Bob,

 Out of
 curiosity, why would one turn off SBAS? My first instinct
 is
 that SBAS support could only improve the
 accuracy of one's fix, as it
 supplies
 additional correction information that improves on the
 normal
 GPS signal. I would (perhaps naively)
 think that enabling SBAS during
 the
 surveying would improve the results.

 Of course, I could very well be mistaken and
 would be happy to be
 corrected by those more
 knowledgeable.

 Cheers!